Friday, July 26, 2013

Shadow Boxing, Traveling, and Painting

 
Many years ago, I remember making shadow bunnies on the wall with my brothers when we were bored.  The boys always made their shadow bunnies fight ... I preferred to make my fluffy creatures hop and jump. 
 
I have always loved beautiful shadow boxes filled with cherished memorabilia.  I found this shadow box at a local home store for a reasonable price and the best part is that it was already painted white.  I dug into my rather large box of vintage hankies and lace to start the layering. 
 
Next came the drawer of old jewelry and buttons.  I also raided my scrapbook area for snippets of cards and flowers.   I secured everything with pearl head pins and pretty corsage pins.
 
 
 

                                   Mini "Shadow"


This small vintage frame was the perfect size for a mini-shadow "box."  It is hard to tell from the photo, but the glass is bowed - leaving about 1/2" to 3/4" to fill with  - something.....

I decided that about the only thing that I could squeeze into that space was some of my scrapbooking embellishments.  I used paper from the Graphic 45  French Country line - my current favorite. 

 

Upcycled American Tourister Suitcase

I found this awesome old American Tourister suitcase in Lakeland at the Vintage Warehouse - a building filled full of vintage, shabby, fabulous finds.  I did not like the way the up-cycler had done the handle but I LOVED the Paris Flea Market painted letters, so I just had to put my vintage-lacy spin on the handle.  It sold in my booth in less than a week. 

 

Oh, how I love Annie Sloan Paint!

 
I found this little night stand at a local estate sale.  It looks to be from the late 40s and weighed a ton.  I am pretty sure that it is walnut.  Now, dear husband's eye starts to twitch when I talk about painting walnut, oak, cherry, etc.... but I proceed to tell him that he does not follow trends and that painted furniture is ALL the rage and then he sighs and gives me the eye roll.
 
  I love the way that Annie Sloan paint goes on just about any piece with virtually no prep and the wax is just as great as the paint.  I have made my own chalk paint, but honestly - Annie Sloan paint just can't be beat!  I kinda' sound like an advertisement.... no, I am not a rep for her paint - but I probably would make a decent one!
 

 

5 comments:

  1. I love the nightstand! Funny, my husband gives me the same trouble about painting wood furniture. Your shadowboxes are lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOur shadow boxes are adorable, I love the romantic feel. Remember when we used to fill them with ugly dried flowers? I know how heavy those old side table are, great color

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi June, Your shadow boxes are beautiful. So many lovely treasures. The flea market suitcase looks great. No wonder it sold so fast.
    You had asked about the kind of ink pad I used to stamp on my linen. I always use StazOn when I stamp on fabric. It's not water-resistant but I keep my clothes pin bag in a roofed area. If I have to wash it, I probably have to stamp the word on again afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping in...Oh yes, doing the store window was soooo fun!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. JUne, I can't wait to meet you at the Fancy Flea. It will be interesting to see how it does in a new location. I loved it being downtown Lakeland, but I also understand how they outgrew it. This will be great parking and so much easier to have more room!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete