Sunday, April 28, 2013

Weekly Treasure Hunt


It happens most every weekend.  I venture out to see what treasures I can find for our home or my antique booth.  Garage sales, estate sales, yard sales, thrift stores - they all seem to call my name about 7:00 a.m. every Saturday morning.

This past weekend, we went to Lakeland to see our grandson play baseball. (His team lost, but what a joy it was to see him play!)
Downtown Lakeland has several great antique shops and they were paging my name to stop and visit... seems that no one else heard this.

 
 
At one of the shops, I found two wooden bobbins, a couple of painted wooden handle kitchen whisks, and this fantastic sad iron.

A recent linen BONANZA from local estate sales

 
 A pink and white dresser scarf, blue napkins with tiny roses, bread cloths and lacey trims - 
all tucked  in a very unassuming plastic bag.  
 

 
I am not sure what I will do with these ecru and cream lacy pieces, but they were in great shape with no holes or rips.... perhaps they just need a good soaking in sudsy water and a day in the sun.
 
 
This "cutter" quilt will make great Christmas stockings
 and circle garland (tutorial to come soon).


 
 These little guest towel beauties just needed a quick rinse and pressing and they were ready to go into my booth.  I am always on the lookout for vintage linens.  I love to find them in pristine shape, but I also usually end up buying the little sad orphan ones to use in pillows, scrapbooking, card-making, journals, or whatever needs a touch of vintage.
 

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love Lakeland! Linen is my favorite, I usually pay my booth rent with linens, but Like you I end up with a lot of cutters!! Thank you for the congrats on my dress form business opportunity...We'll see!


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. June, the fabric I used on the little stool is a cotton, it has a weird name like oxynberg or something like that...Geez a lot of help I am lol!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet it is osnaberg. It has a little more texture than regular muslin and is not that expensive... but looks sort of like linen. I love working with it.

      Delete
  3. June, I am so jealous of the great linen you found at estate sales, linen seems to be harder and harder to find. I bet you will be able to soak the lace pieces if not, you could always use some rit tan dye and . I see you answered my last comment here, I don't know if you realized that the reply never goes to the person, the only way they can read it is if they come back here to comments...I know, it is all so confusing...Why do they have reply there anyway??

    Carol

    ReplyDelete